My name is Jaco Corso and I am a 3rd grader at Guilford Lakes Elementary School in Guilford, Connecticut. I was so excited when I found out Jeff Kinney was coming to town to promote his latest book Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul. I was even more excited when I found out that I was going to meet him. My classmates at school helped me come up with these questions for him.
1. How did you come up with idea for Diary of a Wimpy Kid?
I spent about four years developing the idea for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is very, very loosely based on my childhood experiences.
2. What age did you start writing books?
I started writing the first book when I was 28.
3. How long does it take to write a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book?
It takes me nine months from start to finish.
4. Why do you write like a middle school kid instead of a grown up?
I wanted to create a memorable middle school character. Kids are more fun than grown-ups!
5. My favorite character is Manny. How do you come up with the characters?
Some of the characters were inspired by family members. Manny was inspired by my little brother as a very young kid.
6. If you were not an author what would you be?
I’d be working as a game developer for Poptropica, which is what I do during normal business days!
7. How did you come up with the idea of the cheese touch?
It’s a mix between a piece of cheese on my church parking lot and the Cooties.
8. My favorite book in the series is The Long Haul. Which one is your favorite and why?
Thanks! It’s my favorite, too! I like it because I think it’s the best story.