Whenever I recommend a product or experience, I always hope it will help those in pursuit of the peaceful lifestyle. I like to make sure my recommendations contribute to “Think Good. Eat Whole. Walk Far,” (The Peaceful Daily mantra). I prefer a less-is-more approach to life, but I whole-heartedly believe there are some products that in fact make your life better as long as they serve a purpose or indirectly do something to lower your consumption on the other end.
So here are my choices for the must-have THINGS for summer 2010!
- Laken Reusable Water Bottles — I have been on a quest for the perfect reusable water bottle for years now. I feel like Laken bottles are pretty close to being perfect. They are made in Spain, not China, which is a huge plus. They are made from virgin aluminum, which means they are just as strong as stainless steel. Laken bottles also show no aluminum migration, even in a higher temperature range. Extremely durable and leak-proof, they come in really cool colors and designs. And of course, they contain no bpa.
- Tickets to Eat, Pray, Love — The wildly popular book by Elizabeth Gilbert is finally making it to the big screen and I am ecstatic! Julie Roberts plays Gilbert in the lead role, making her way on her spiritual path through Italy, India, and Bali. I will be there opening day on August 13th.
- reisenthel’s Farmers’ Market Basket (as I call it) — I live at the farmers’ market during the summer months, so having a good basket is very important. This basket is perfect as it is just like those at the grocery store. You can stand things up in it and even your bread won’t get squished. The German design not only looks hip, but also is incredibly sturdy. I love declining plastic bags, and this basket contributes to that.
- Pentax Optio W90 — Summertime for me and my family is all about nature. Whether we are at the beach, in the woods, or at the park, I always like to document our experiences. Lugging my big camera around is tough in the summertime when we are so active. I was very excited when Pentax introduced the Optio W90 for adventure photography. This is one of the coolest things ever—a digital camera that is as rugged as it gets. This camera is waterproof up to 20 feet, coldproof to 14 degrees, and shockproof to four feet! My daughter even buried it in the sand. I love my Pentax SLR, but this one is all about adventure and getting dirty…
- Sunblocks recommended by Environmental Working Group — EWG says hat and glasses are best for sun protection, but because we all use sunblock, the group created a rating system for toxic exposure! Here are my favorites from their recommendations if you do use sunblock:For adults: Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body (SPF 15) and Beyond Coastal Lip and Face Screen (SPF 30)For kids: California Baby Sun Block Stick No Fragrance (SPF 30+) and thinkbaby Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Williams Sonoma Stainless Steel Mesh Basket — Being a vegetarian can be difficult, especially during summer cookouts on our patio. At the start of this summer season I purchased this stainless steel vegetable basket. I love enjoying healthy veggies while also appreciating the grilling experience. I simply marinate a big bowl of vegetables in my favorite marinade, then toss them in this basket and cook them on the grill. Delight!
- Vitamix 5200 — Smoothies are the best in the summer. Vitamix, amazing for making fresh juices and smoothies, should be a staple in every kitchen, especially in the summertime. The Vitamix 5200 contains no bpa. My favorite thing to make in a Vitamix is something I call Green Goddess (1 kale leaf, 1 frozen banana, 1 frozen pear, 2 dates, and water).
- Get Naked Fast! by Diana Stobo — We simply cannot ignore the evidence that raw fruits and veggies are the best things we can consume. So having at least a percentage of your diet consist of raw food is probably a smart idea. I have lots of raw food books, but my current favorite is Get Naked Fast! by: Diana Stobo. It includes more than recipes it contains lots of lifestyle ideas. Visually, the book is stunning!
- Sonic Boom iPod holder by Nathan — Taking my iPod on my runs makes them much more pleasurable. This Nano holder is the best I have found. It doesn’t budge once in place and is very comfortable. Music = inspiration during exhilaration!
- Malibu Lemon Blossom Fragrance by Pacifica — Lately we have been hearing a lot about the chemicals used to make perfumes. When I found Pacifica at Whole Foods I fell in love with it. Pacifica fragrance is great because it contains no parabens, animal ingredients, or artificial colors. The company’s fragrances are 100 percent vegan and gluten-free, and of course they are never tested on animals. Malibu Lemon has summertime written all over it. Citrusy and sweet, I love it for the summer months…